Unlocking the Potential of Channel Letter Signs
Are you a determined entrepreneur seeking ways to set your business apart from the competition? Have you recognized the advantages of channel letter signage for your brand? Channel letter signs offer an outstanding method for attracting customers, creating brand identity, and establishing a strong presence in a crowded market.
Whether you’re launching a new store or simply looking to add that extra touch to grab attention and capture potential customers, investing in a high-quality sign with well-designed channel letters could be precisely what your business needs.
In this article, we will explore the possibilities that come with effectively using channel letters, highlighting how they can benefit businesses of all sizes and help them stand out.
What Are Channel Letter Signs? A channel letter sign is a three-dimensional graphic element with its structure and built-in lighting. It consists of individual letters, numbers, or characters that, when combined, form a sign display. Each letter is crafted from aluminum sheets and acrylic, offering tremendous versatility in terms of fonts, colors, and sizes.
Components of a Channel Letter Sign Channel letters typically consist of three main parts and two smaller components. Let’s delve into each of these elements and understand how they are crafted.
- Face: The face of a standard or front-lit channel letter is made from 3/16″ thick acrylic sheets that can be customized into various shapes using CNC or multicam routers. These acrylic sheets are available in a variety of colors and can be further customized with high-quality transparent or perforated vinyl. The acrylic face is attached to the channel letter’s “can” using a “trim cap.”
- Trim Cap: To connect the acrylic channel letter face to the body of the letter, a UV-stable, eco-friendly, and highly durable plastic is extruded around aluminum foil to create the trim cap. The trim cap is securely bonded to the acrylic face using a liquid adhesive, making the face ready to be attached to the channel letter’s body.
- Return: The interior of a channel letter is known as the “return.” For front-lit channel letters, the return depth is typically 3″, 5″, or 8″, and it may be specified in your Lease Agreement’s Sign Criteria or local city/county regulations. Returns are shaped into the desired character using computer-controlled bending equipment. The metal sheets used to create channel letters come in various standard colors, or they can be custom-painted to match your preferred PMS or other color references.
- Backs: A channel letter’s back is created from router-cut aluminum sheets with various thickness options, including .040, .063, and .090.
- Light Source: Channel letters are available in both illuminated and non-illuminated versions. Most internally-illuminated channel letters now employ LED lighting, offering significant energy savings compared to previous neon lighting solutions. This transition to LED lighting results in reduced operational costs while maintaining effective illumination.
Incorporating channel letter signs into your business’s visual identity can help you create a distinct and memorable presence that attracts potential customers and sets you apart from the competition.